Subcompact Vehicle Comparison
2016 Toyota Corolla
2016 Volkswagen Jetta
Shoppers in the market for a subcompact car that delivers outstanding fuel economy, plenty of standard equipment, and lots of space for back seat passengers will want to check out the 2016 Toyota Corolla. Offering decades of dependable service, the Corolla remains a smart pick in its class. Other models garnering attention in the segment include the 2016 Volkswagen Jetta and the 2016 Mazda3. See how the three compare before making a final decision.
Most folks looking to buy a subcompact car want to slash excess expenses from their budget, and here the 2016 Toyota Corolla comes out on top.
- 2016 Toyota Corolla: MSRP from $18,065
- 2016 Mazda3: MSRP from $18,665
- 2016 Volkswagen Jetta: MSRP from 18,145
There was a time when buying a small sedan meant having to compromise when it came to features, but a look at the base features on these models proves those days are over.
- 2016 Toyota Corolla: The Corolla comes standard with steering-wheel-mounted cruise control, a remote trunk hatch release, a remote fuel filler door release, and power windows and door locks. It also gets Bluetooth, voice-activated controls, speed proportional power steering, an MP3 player, front bucket seats, load restraints, and a CD player.
- 2016 Mazda3: While the Mazda3 comes standard with many of the features found on the Corolla, it doesn’t have a standard CD player or load restraints.
- 2016 Volkswagen Jetta: The Volkswagen Jetta’s base equipment package is also similar to the Corolla’s, though it gets standard vinyl upholstery instead of cloth. Also, the Jetta doesn’t have front buckets seats or a remote fuel filler door release.
Performance and Fuel Economy
The subcompact class is renowned for expertly blending balanced performance and outstanding fuel economy.
- 2016 Toyota Corolla: The 1.8L four-cylinder base engine on the Corolla puts out 132 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque. It is offered with a six-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission and can get up to an EPA-estimated 36 mpg highway and 27 mpg city.
- 2016 Mazda3: The 2.0L four-cylinder base engine on the Mazda3 comes mated to a six-speed manual or automatic transmission and offers 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque. EPA estimates top out at 41 mpg highway and 30 mpg city.
- 2016 Volkswagen Jetta: The base engine on the Jetta is a 2.0L four-cylinder that makes 115 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque. It’s available with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission and gets up to an EPA-estimated 34 mpg highway and 23 mpg city.
Drive Home the 2016 Toyota Corolla from Earl Stewart Toyota
The 2016 Toyota Corolla is now on sale at Earl Stewart Toyota, located at 1215 US-1 in Lake Park, FL. Come see us seven days a week, or contact us for more information on our subcompact sedan selection!